Originally created in 2017 by Roman Booteen, this 1921 Morgan Dollar Hobo Nickel sold at Auction for $10,101. Within days, Booteen experienced an influx of requests from excited collectors wanting a piece of modern art history. Sadly, it was a limited edition of one, but it became an overnight icon.
Our stunning replica is unlike anything you’ve seen.
The obverse is a domed Morgan Dollar, featuring the iconic eagle. But it is the reverse that is the real star. It features a 1945 Gold Dos Peso core, surrounded by a spring-loaded finger trap. With the trap open, it becomes part of the border work, but try to steal the gold bait and it snaps shut. Never before has a Hobo Nickel existed with such unique sculpting and functionality.
Around the circumference, a matching inscription by Sir Walter Scott reads: AURUM MULTO MAGIS ANIMAS PERDIDIT QUAM FERRUM CORPORA CECIDIT. The meaning – “Gold has killed more souls than iron”. Booten’s coin is inscribed in Latin, and we have translated it to Russian in this description to honor the coin’s original creator: ЗОЛОТО ПОГУБИЛО БОЛЬШЕ ДУШ, ЧЕМ ЖЕЛЕЗО ТЕЛ.
Needless to say, this is one coin all investors are hungry to get their hands on. And this is one coin, hungry to get its trap on your fingers.
- Authorized, licensed reproduction of Roman Booteen’s original Trap Coin
- One-of-a-kind working trap mechanism
- Includes original Morgan Dollar
- Includes original Dos Pesos 1/20 Troy ounce gold coin
- Bezel, Jaws & Trap cast from 20 grams of 925 silver
- Bronze Scepter to trigger trap and easel for display
- Includes certificate of authenticity
- Limited to only 999 replicas, individually laser-etched with serial number
- Includes collector’s wooden box